The title of this post may seem ridiculously obvious, and it should. That said, I often wonder if some baseball fans and writers truly understand this concept.
Of course, the player and potential trade that sparked this discussion was the idea of trading Ender Inciarte for the Cubs' Ian Happ, as outlined in a piece by Tyler Wilson for "Tomahawk Take." Now before I go any further, I want to say that this was a well-written piece with plenty of logical defenses for the idea, and I'm not bashing the writer in any way. If I were to be swayed to make such a deal, Tyler's arguments would have done it.
But this is where so many modern baseball fans stray so far from what I think we should be as fans.
Ender Inciarte has been one of the bright spots for the Braves in the last couple years. He's won a Gold Glove both years that he's been the starting center fielder for the Braves and made the All-Star Game in 2017. On top of that, Ender is a reliable .290-.300 hitter that started showing a little pop last year and doesn't strike out a lot.
Why would a team want to get rid of that?
Even with young stars like Ronald Acuna and Ozzie Albies ready to take their spots in the Atlanta Braves' lineup, there's still a great spot for Inciarte. Albies probably is a more appropriate leadoff hitter for the Braves as he has a little more speed than Inciarte, but Inciarte can absolutely hit second and fill that role. In fact, I'm thrilled about the prospect of having those two at the top of the lineup.
As for Acuna, there may come a day when he needs to be the center fielder for the Atlanta Braves, but why rush it? Why not allow him the opportunity to learn alongside a young guy who has established himself as one of the top defensive outfielders in the game for a couple years before you thrust a teenager into the center of things?
This notion of trading Ender is the same thought process that led to trading Andrelton Simmons and the same one that made Freddie Freeman the topic of discussion for a couple years. And I get it. Inciarte's value as a trade piece may never be higher than it is right now, but there's a reason for that. It's because his value as a baseball player may never be higher, and it's also important to note that his value to Atlanta Braves' fans is also very high.
If the Braves are going to be contenders any time soon, the team needs eight good baseball players in their lineup. They currently have a good-hitting defensive stud in center field, and he's under control for five years and less than $36 million. The same things that make him valuable to other teams should also make him valuable to his current team, and that's something that should always be kept in mind.
NOTE: Slight edit in the 3rd paragraph to clarify original intent.
No comments:
Post a Comment